Sunday, March 9, 2014

Tree change




As I sit in my outer-Sydney 'burbs apartment on this sunny and beautiful Sunday I can't help but miss the bush.

I'd be lying if I said I missed everything about the bush, but sitting here in the city hearing the leaves of the perfectly placed and manicured trees blowing outside my window makes me miss the 'real' fresh air and the proper smell of old gum trees and true nature.

It's no surprise to me that I miss home. Everybody at some stage in their lives will miss the place where their roots lay. I miss our farm and one day hope to go back there, maybe on a more permanent basis, who knows.

I've been reading a lot of blogs lately, and I don't know if it's just because I'm drawn to them because we enjoy the same things, or if there is a gal trend happening, but a lot of people seem to be getting back to the 'original' ways of doing things. So many more people seem to enjoy the humbling feelings we get from growing our own veggies or making our food by hand. Deep down we seem to search for that 'grounding' that getting back to basics brings us.

I miss growing veggies, I miss collecting eggs from our hens. I miss the smell of my horse and the tangle of her knotted and rouge mane.

I miss riding on the back of a motorbike across hard and cracking ground with the sun boiling down on my (pasty ha!) white skin!



Deep down I want to move to the country and live peacefully, growing our own food, raising our own cows and living in the moment. Right now, I'm not sure we are in a position to do this, but there is an urge in me that wants a change.

There are so many great things about living in this city, but boy are there some magical things about living in the country.

I've noticed over at Retromummy's blog she has had some guest writers blogging about their 'tree changes' and most seem to be about going back to the country! And one of my favourite 'country', foodie blogs at the moment that makes me pine for home is Local is Lovely. Check them out!

E, x

2 comments:

  1. Hi Ellie, I've been following your blog for a while. I also grew up on a property in rural NSW. I left school and spent ten years in Sydney studying and working, very much missing my old country life. I moved back to the country but I do look back on my 'city' time and am so grateful I had the opportunity to live there when I did. The country is where I want to raise my children and where I plan to grow old with my husband….there isnt a chance we will move to a city now but I do appreciate what it has to offer. It sounds like you will end back in the country…and I agree, I also love reading Local Is Lovely- Sophie has a beautiful way of writing about country living and her recipes look so delicious. I look forward to reading more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kylie,
      Thank you so much for commenting and being a regular reader of my blog! It is so nice to hear from someone who has also experienced what I am going through, and can understand missing the country life! I feel lucky to get to experience both the city and the country too! I agree with you and think I will most likely end up in the country, it's only a matter of time I'm sure lol! There is something special about living in the bush!
      Thanks again so much for stopping by!
      x

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! Whats on your mind?! Drop me a comment! Ellie xo