Friday, July 20, 2012

One lucky girl!


This week I am feeling SO lucky and very blessed!

I was in class earlier this week talking to a friend about what she plans to do once she graduates from our graphic design degree next year. She told me that she has a few things in mind but doesn't feel that confident about getting work in the industry as a friend of hers graduated last year and has spent the entirety of this year searching for a job in our field and has been unsuccessful!

This got me freaked out. My biggest fear is going though all of this study time and money spent at uni to come out with a degree (bonus) and not be able to get a job (horrible)!

I raced home and thought about some stuff. My dream after I graduate would be to work with a magazine. I have always wanted to do this for as long as I can remember. My little sister and I used to play at home and make up our own magazines and cut out stuff from Barbie mags, or Girlfriend magazine and make our own versions! (Remember this Jess???) But I have always had the thought that getting a job in a magazine is out of reach because it is very competitive to get in to.

Anyhow, I hopped onto my laptop and googled how to apply for work experience with Cosmopolitan Magazine. I figure work experience is the best way to find out how exactly everything works in a real life situation and would give me the best insight into this field that I feel I would love on a real life job basis.


(current August issue)

I sent off a cover letter and my resume (which by the way lists absolutely no work history to do with magazines or graphic design) and hoped for the best.

I thought it was the biggest long shot ever but hey, if you don't try you'll never know!

And guess what? I got a reply email back the very next day and was offered a week of work experience  with the Editorial team at Cosmo in October!!!!!!

I am beyond excited and can't believe how lucky I am to get this opportunity! I always thought getting work experience at Cosmo (or any popular female magazine for that matter) would be next to impossible!!

I can't wait, I am so stoked! This is such a big dream of mine, I get an up-close glimpse at my dream job! How cool is that?!!


One thing (on top of a million things racing in my head right now) that came to mind is that I need to do some major shopping before October to get some office appropriate/currently trendy outfits in order for the week at the office!!!! lol I've been told the dress code is "smart casual".

What do you think I should wear? Do you follow Cosmo mag on Instagram? They show some of the employees outfits that they wear to the office on Fridays! Check it out!

I am so excited!

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I do remember making these mags! Yours were always better than mine of course! Still so excited for you!!!! Maybe you should try your luck with some other mags and try line up some other work experience ?? The more experience the better! You are a lucky girl xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess, I am def going to try and apply for some more mags, the more experience the better!
      Miss you little sistah!!
      xxoo

      Delete
  2. congrats ellie, what a wonderful opportunity which im sure u will enjoy
    anyways all the best..

    bec cain

    ReplyDelete
  3. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. I do think that
    you should write more on this subject, it might not be a taboo subject but usually folks don't talk about such subjects. To the next! Kind regards!!
    Check out my blog post : bootszubehor online

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers! Whats on your mind?! Drop me a comment! Ellie xo